I was reading my daily The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie and when I read Detaching In Love, I thought of helpful tips. I just wanted to reach out to you today to share her thoughts and I have added my own tips and thoughts from the reading. Feel free to share them….
When we find that we have to detach in love it is that we have reached a point when our reactions are taking over and solutions are not easy to find. The times when we are to detach Melody describes below:
- “When we’re hooked into a reaction – an emotion like anger fear, guilt or shame.”
- “When we get hooked into a power play – when someone is trying to force or control us.”
- “When the way we’re reacting isn’t helping the other person or solving the problem.”
- “When the way we’re reaching is hurting us.”
Tips on detaching when you need to break from the cycle of reacting –
- Go for a bike ride.
- Go for a long walk or a walk down your street or even in your yard.
- Go to another room in the house or location.
- Meet with friends and focus time on enjoying their company.
- Take a bubble bath or a swim in a pool.
- Light candles and sit and read.
- Listen to music – soothing sounds.
- Talk to God.
- Breathe in and breathe out – focusing on your breathing – slowing it down.
- Being grateful for all that you have – start to name them in your mind, or write them down.
Hope life is treating you well. God bless you…